Saturday, July 30, 2011

Stromata

During this summer, I usually plan out the ends for the coming year. There is more time to get it done during the summer, and the organist appreciate having the hymns picked that far in advance. Anyway, for about a year now I've been using Dragon Naturally Speaking, a dictating computer program that allows me to speak into a microphone and the computer turns that into text. (I needed to do this after a stroke-like event a couple years ago, because I couldn't make my right hand do the typing.) It does a pretty good job, but it's in no way perfect, and you have to keep checking to see whether or not it's actually typing what you said.

Well, I dictated that the computers print out, for one Sunday, "Now Thank We All Our God" – and I looked up to see that the computer had printed out "Now Think We All Are God". Fascinating, isn't it, that a computer program devised by humans can make the same first Commandment errors that people do.

No comments:

Post a Comment