Saturday, September 17, 2011

Retirement

We had our regular winkle this past Thursday and I got a surprise there. If I understood what was said correctly, one of the congregations in my circuit (or some people in that congregation) decided to give me a gift on my retirement/leaving circuit counselor office after eight years. It wasn't much, of course, they found a book at an estate sale, an old German Bible for five bucks, and decided to get it for me.

It really blew me away for a couple of reasons. First of all, I've never heard of any circuit counselor being 'rewarded' for his service, not even a thank you. I know I helped this particular congregation in a very difficult situation, but I certainly never expected them to remember it.

Second, while there are indeed congregations that will have presentations of some sort for their own pastor who retires, I've never heard of a congregation, or the people of a congregation, having a presentation on the retirement of a pastor from a different congregation.

I have two responses to their gift – first, it makes me think that this must be a tremendous congregation committed Christians do something like this. Then, I wonder what it was that I  did right.

No comments:

Post a Comment