Monday, July 18, 2011

Retirement

I was awakened at 1:45 AM this morning by a phone call from the hospital, telling me that one of our sweet little shut-ins had gone home to Jesus. She apparently had had a massive heart attack Friday evening, and then a stroke and she wasn't found until Saturday morning when friends couldn't contact her. By that time she has also contracted pneumonia, so the outlook wasn't very good. I had gone to see her and the family in the hospital on Saturday, spoke with them and had a prayer with them.

I came home on Saturday thinking how much I don't like to make calls like that. I understand and completely believe that God does work through his word to accomplish what he wants (even though we may have no idea what that might be). The families I visit always seemed comforted by the consolation and prayers I bring, but that doesn't affect how I feel.

I dislike those kinds of calls because I leave thinking that I haven't been able to do a thing. I realize it's more of a case that I don't see anything happening, and that the word works quietly often behind the scenes. But I will admit that looking forward retirement I will be glad not to get any early morning telephone calls about deaths in the congregation.

5 comments:

  1. I'm the same way, though in my present call I don't have that duty. But I know other pastors who just love it. Shutins and hospitals are their favorite parts of the ministry. I guess different duties of the ministry appeal more to different men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. employees on the Netbenefits, Ingplans login financial investment services using third parties such as Fidelity Netbenefits, Hewitt Resources and ING Retirement. Any more information theretirementgroup.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Retirement Group blog helps corporate retirees with pre retirement questions and John jastremski san diego for free questions of charge. We are a source of financial information. Visit:- trgcapital.blogspot.com John jastremski san diego - trgcapital.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Retirement Group will work with ingplans login your company’s benefits administrator in order to help employees transition into retirement. One of the major administrators that we work with is Fidelity login Netbenefits. retirekit.com Ingplans login - www.retirekit.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. John Jastremski – The Retirement Group (800) 900-5867 - Blog Website of John jastremski Hewitt Resources and Ingplans login. Any more information Visit:-
    Ingplans login - johnjastremski.com

    ReplyDelete