Saturday, July 30, 2011

Retirement

The first thing you think about, usually, when you think about retirement, is about having more free time. Now I know that's not true, because too many parishioners over the years have told me they're busier after retirement than they were before (all that volunteer work). I was reminded of that yesterday when a pastor in the circuit called up to ask if I knew many available pastors who could fill in for him so that he could take a vacation – and he especially mentioned retired pastors.

One of the other things I've noticed since I announced I would be retiring is that I am busier, trying to keep all the old stuff going, and yet trying to learn some new stuff for retirement. So the calls, services, preaching, etc. continues, but I'm also learning more about insurance in retirement, and in the next few months I have to learn a lot more about pensions, investing, and Social Security/Medicare. I can see that I'm actually going to be little bit busier the next 10 months than I really thought I would be.

And that doesn't count the "honey-do" list. when my dad retired several decades ago, he used to wear a T-shirt that read "my honey do list is so long I have to live forever." It's not there yet, but I can see it growing day by day. Oh well, at least that will be a lot of fun doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment