Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Retirement

I finally stumbled on a good way to describe what moving towards retirement, announced a year ahead, is like. Normally, when a pastor receives a call, the call is announced, pastor considers it for a couple weeks, and, if he accepts, he's gone in a couple of weeks. In that sense, a 'normal' call process for the pastor is like a heart attack or stroke – it hits and hits quickly, and then the whole process is over for a while.

Announcing a retirement a year in advance is more like Alzheimer's or dementia – it comes on slowly and progresses slowly, but it's unstoppable. I called on a nice lady in the congregation yesterday who was a little upset about my announced retirement. As we talked she recognized that it was a good thing for me, but she was worried about the congregation. In fact she was worried that the congregation would not be able to get another pastor, because 'who would want to come to southern Illinois?' I had to remind her that 10 years ago I took the call to come to southern Illinois, and she was almost surprised by that, as if she thought I'd been here forever (and I have had members who have asked me if I remembered what happened in the congregation back in the 70s, long before I got here).

I was able to reassure her that the Lord would cause things to happen the way He wanted. He will provide a pastor for this congregation when He wants to, and He will select the right man for this place. But, as I said, it's a little bit like Alzheimer's, so I expect I'll have to keep repeating that for the next 10 months – God will accomplish what He wants to have happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment