Thursday, August 18, 2011

Retirement


Yesterday, I had the first chapel of the new school year – unfortunately, attendance is down at our school, with the economy in such bad shape. It was interesting to see some people – in particular one of the girls, who lives close to us, was three when we arrived and she is now in eighth-grade, almost ready to go on the high school. If that weren't bad enough, we took some stuff up to St. Louis this past weekend, and dropping it off was talking with a woman and someone who I thought was her young teenage daughter – only to find out it was her young daughter in law (so I was only about 10 years off in guessing her age– glad I didn't say anything).

My wife and I have noticed the same thing when we go out to eat. It seems as if so many of the waiters and waitresses are just barely out of grade school, at least to our eyes. On the other hand, I guess I seem like a doddering old wreck to some of these younger people. Funny how impressions and opinions change over the years.

It reminds me of a lady I met in the nursing home when I got to a new parish in 1983. She said to me, 'Pastor, you have no idea how frustrating it is to be an 18-year-old girl locked up inside an 80-year-old body.' Well, I certainly didn't understand that, I'm starting to get a better idea of it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment