Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Retirement

I had originally thought that retirement was going to be nice and easy, lots of free time, lots of time to read things that I've wanted to read for decades. I'm already finding out that what retirement really is a new episode in your life with new things to learn, and learn quickly. Yes there will be times of rest (at least I hope so). Yes there should be time to spend with the children and grandchildren. Yes there should be time to do some reading.

But consider, all the new things are coming along. As a pastor, I've been fortunate in that I haven't had too many dealings with the government. Oh, you pay taxes and fill out forms on occasion, but there hasn't been that much contact. Now, all of a sudden, there are all sorts of things that I have to because the government says so. When I turn 65 I'll have to register for Medicare. At 70 1/2, I'll have to take distributions from IRAs whether I want to or not. I hope I'll be able to handle all that.

But there is one additional problem. With the youngest (of five children) out of college and at basic training, for the first time in 30+ years we don't have any children dependent on us. For the first time it's just my wife and I we have to pay for – and that means we actually have a chance to save for the first time in our marriage. How do you save? What to save in? There are all sorts of financial questions that I've never had to deal with before – and have to learn quickly what to do. It should be interesting next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment