Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Luther quotes

Cursed be every preacher who aims at lofty topics in the church, looking for his own glory and selfishly desiring to please one individual or another. When I preach here [236] I adapt myself to the circumstances of the common people. I don't look at the doctors and masters, of whom scarcely forty are present, but at the hundred or the thousand young people and children. It's to them I preach, to them that I devote myself, for they, too, need to understand. If the others don't want to listen they can leave. Therefore, my dear Bernard, take pains to be simple and direct; don't consider those who claim to be learned to be a preacher to unschooled youth and sucklings.” Tabletalk, Lauterbach & Weller, #3573, between March 28 and May 27, 1537 LW, AE, 54:235-6

No comments:

Post a Comment