Monday, June 27, 2011

Retirement

There are so many things that teach you patience in this life. Another thing that does so, I have found, is announcing your retirement, and then waiting for the months to roll by. I'll admit that I'm looking forward to the time when I don't have to get up in the morning, but I don't have to go into work. But there are downsides as well.


For 34 years, there's always been a struggle to try and make things better where you are, to try and get people to move in a particular direction, and to get them to see where everybody is heading. When the congregation is already moving to replace you, and it seems that even fewer people want to hear what you have to say, it is a real struggle to be patient. When the congregation seems to be heading in the direction that does not seem best, it's a real struggle to be patient, to bite your tongue and stop yourself from trying to influence them to go the way you think is best (although I know there are pastors out there who do not hesitate to try and force congregations to do things).


On the good side, however, this does make one more patient, and that is supposed to be desirable. By the time next year rolls around, I ought to be really, really patient.

1 comment:

  1. If the congregation is heading in a direction that is against Scripture and the confessions, then I would certainly warn them against that, constantly. But if it's just a question of the congregation making wise or unwise decisions and both decisions are morally permissible, then I would give my advice to whoever wants it, and otherwise be silent.

    ReplyDelete