Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Retirement

I was talking last night with a member who survived a devastating heart attack last fall and is still feeling the 'after-shocks.' The doctors told him that his heart condition seems to have been caused by stress, and he was sort of wondering why he'd never noticed the stress. We agreed that people tend to have 'blinders', seeing only what is right in front of their face.

Pastors are like that, too, and we have such a great excuse - we're working for the Lord.

Since I announced my early retirement I've started noticing things that I'd been blind to for a while as well. For one thing, I noticed that I'd become more of a work-a-holic than I ever thought I would. Jo and I started taking late evening walks again last night - I remembered that we used to do it all the time, but I couldn't remember when, in my busy schedule, I had the time to take walks. I think I'm only beginning to realize that my schedule had been full of things that I didn't need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment