Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Retirement

Recently I was talking with a member who's brother was flooded out this spring. After hearing all the trials and problems, I was reminded of an old Remington Steele show, where Laura's house was burned up - Remington tried to console her with a story of a Greek sailor who had lost everything, but whose response was "From now on, all things are new. Think of the possibilities!"

We're still continuing to downsize (sometimes it seems we've only started), and I've noticed that an awful lot of paper that I used to think was important has made its way to the recycling bin. Old class notes. Old research notes. Old projects that got started but never got finished. The old stuff is going and "from now on, all things are new. Think of the possibilities!" In many ways it's very liberating (as the ancient hermits who left everything behind found out). Today I find myself wondering why I didn't do this much sooner. Was I so blinded by the plans and goals I had decided on? (Rhetorical question) Anyway, Jo and I are starting to find ourselves looking forward more and more to those new 'possibilities' just down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment