Friday, June 24, 2011

Retirement

It's interesting to see the "detachment" that comes with the announcement of a retirement. District officials charitably speak of this as 'the grieving process' even though they know full well that some people in the congregation are, figuratively speaking, dancing in the aisles, rejoicing that the man who has caused all of the problems in the church is finally leaving.

I have one elderly member who told me last night that he's mad at me because I'm leaving - even though I won't be leaving full-time ministry until a year from now. A couple of middle-aged ladies gave me 'good-bye' hugs, last month - even though I won't be leaving full-time ministry until a year from now.

The good thing (or is it good?) is that I can't see any real difference in the congregation - they pay me no less attention than they used to. I am noticing things differently, though - as my second son put it, "So, Dad, this is your last summer of full-time ministry." Since then, I've been having lots of 'is this the last time for _____' thoughts. It does make it a little more difficult to stay focused.

 On the other hand, you do get a glimpse of what future days will be like. This week I was able to supply a vice-president of the LCMS with some translations of Baier-Walther on church and ministry. He was gracious with his thanks and spoke of how this translating was so important for the church at large. I do look forward to the day when I have more time to translate.

No comments:

Post a Comment