Sunday, May 29, 2011

Imitation of Christ

I first became acquainted with The Imitation of Christ in junior college. My opinion of it then wasn't very high – I believe I wrote in the paper that it wasn't very helpful at all in becoming a Christian. Now, 40 years later, I can appreciate the insight Thomas had much better. So, for your enjoyment, from the 1400s, Thomas a Kempus' Imitation of Christ.

Qui sequitur me non ambulat in tenebris dicit Dominus. Hæc sunt verba Christi, quibus admonemur quatenus vitam eius et mores imitemur, si volumus veraciter illuminari, et ab omni cæcitate cordis liberari. Summum igitur studium nostrum, sit in vita Jesu meditari. 



He that follows me does not walk in darkness, says the Lord. These are the words of Christ; and they teach us how far we must imitate His life and character, if we seek true illumination, and deliverance from all blindness of heart. Let it be our most earnest study, therefore, to dwell upon the life of Jesus Christ.

Imitation of Christ  I, 1.1

No comments:

Post a Comment