Friday, May 13, 2011

Retirement

Retirement. It really doesn't seem that long ago that I was the new kid on the block, full of energy and ready to challenge all the old-timers. And now somehow the decades of flown by, and I'm the old guy, full of knowledge and wisdom, ready to advise of the youngsters as they're starting out. Strange isn't a strong enough word to describe that change.

But, here we are. I've announced to the officers of the congregation my intentions to retire early, and Monday evening I'll share that with the voters. I'm telling the congregation a year in advance so that they and I together have plenty of opportunity to talk about what the future of the congregation is, what they want to have happen. It should be a most interesting year in that respect.

What lies ahead? Well, for the congregation, as for most other congregations at this time, there are all sorts of challenges – reaching out to the community; growing the school; getting the budget under control; reducing the debt. There is a very full plate of things for them to consider.

As for Jo and I, there are challenges as well. Selling the house and finding a new one (I'm not going to stick around and have any part of causing trouble for a new pastor). Getting rid of our clutter. Spending more time with my wife (and enjoying it). Hopefully, I'll be able help the church out in some way wherever we are.

After all, looking back on almost 35 years in the ministry, I've done a few things. I've pastored in huge, large and small congregations. I've been involved in campus ministry, prison ministry, ministry to the mentally retarded. I have taught at a synodical school; been Dean of the Chapel, chairman of the religion department, chairman of the social studies division. I've served on district mission boards and been circuit counselor for longer than I want to remember (or can remember, for that matter).

Whatever God has in store for us is bound to be as interesting as what He's thrown at us in the past; I'm sure that He'll give us whatever we need to accomplish what He wants done.

No comments:

Post a Comment